Thursday 9 November 2017

NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND



 

STOP PRESS 17 November 2017


Shire President Wallace tries to mend a fence with consolation prize of blooms and bubbly

Gift and Travel Register

Gift Contribution Register Click here to register contribution
Gift Contribution Register
 Name Description Name of Contributor Address of Contributor Date received Value Estimated Nature of relationship







Cr Denese Smythe Bottle of champagne & bunch of flowers Cr David Wallace RMB 4029, Gwambygine WA 6302 24/10/2017 $34.00 Shire President & Deputy President

Rolling Denese

With considerable difficulty, I’ve managed to find out how Cr Denese Smythe was rolled as deputy shire president in favour of Cr Kevin Trent, a new kid on the block.

Cr Smythe had been led to believe (so I’m told) that the shire president would support her re-election.

It appears that another potential candidate for the position decided not to stand because the shire president had intimated his intention to support Denese.

Come the election, by pre-arrangement the three male councillors and one female voted for Cr Trent. 

So who was the woman who broke ranks, defying the claims of sisterhood?

Yes, I do know, but prefer not to say.  However, here’s a subtle clue, cryptic crossword style—‘By God’s grace neither Austen nor Doe, but in Rome an iron lady (4,5)’.

Sorry, my lips are sealed.  You’ll have to work it out for yourselves.

Shedding principle—again

Some readers may remember that in July and August of last year I published three articles concerning Council’s handling of an application to construct an oversized shed on a property in Lewis Road.

If you’re interested, you can read those articles in order of publication here, here and here.

In summary, I took issue with Council’s disregard of planning policy in relation to that application, arguing, among other things, that policy should be strictly adhered to in order to rule out the possibility or perception of favouritism and cronyism.

In the last of those articles, I cited several tribunal decisions generally supportive of my argument.

Subsequently, I scanned the minutes of successive Council meetings to see if further such applications had been approved.  I found nothing untoward, and foolishly assumed that Council had resolved in future to act according to established principle and the law.

How wrong I was. 

Earlier this year—I think it was in March or April—a disgruntled member of the public informed me that an application for an oversized shed on a property in Andrews Avenue had received Shire approval. 

When I pointed out that there had been nothing in the minutes to indicate anything of the kind, my informant accused me of naivety, saying that approval had been given under delegated authority at the behest of the shire president.  There was nothing in the minutes because the application had not gone before Council.

When I asked why the Shire had taken this course, my informant said it was to make sure that the matter ‘stayed out of the blogs’.

I wasn’t convinced.  I could not believe that a desire to avoid unwelcome publicity on social media would be likely to influence Council, the shire president or the Shire administration.

But a nagging doubt remained.

Fast forward to June, when I took part in a meeting on an unrelated matter with Paul Crewe, Executive Manager Infrastructure and Development Services.

At the end of the meeting, in the presence of a witness, I asked Mr Crewe if the Shire had approved under delegated authority an application for an oversized shed in Andrews Avenue.  He assured me it had not, adding gratuitously that the Shire was ‘wary’ of such applications.

This week, I have received what I consider impeccable confirmation that my informant was correct, and that Mr Crewe’s assurance was at best misleading and at worst an outright lie.

That being so, I’m forced to conclude that councillors (or at any rate the shire president) and Shire officers set out deliberately to conceal a decision that might have attracted adverse criticism if made public.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn’t the only instance of such concealment.  Who knows, perhaps other planning and building decisions have been similarly withheld for similar reasons from the public gaze.

As I’m fond of saying—not that anybody listens—secrecy in government is the first step on the path to corruption. 

It’s also a surefire way to arouse distrust and contempt on the part of the governed, when as inevitably happens in a democracy government secrets crawl or are winkled out and exposed to public view.

Poetry Corner revisited

My close friend Rollo Barker and several anonymous correspondents have insisted that the poem published with my previous post under the heading ‘Poetry Corner’ should be moved to a more prominent position on the blog. So I’m giving it a second airing here and have removed it from its former location.

The poet, larrikin laureate Harry Hogg, has tinkered a bit with the text.  What you see below is the definitive version that will appear in the revised edition of his best-selling collection Tall Tales of the Wheatbelt (Bogside Books, pp. 800, illustrated, available for $1.25 from adult bookstores and under the counter at most rural newsagents). He has reminded me this time to include the poem’s title.

Mr Hogg assures me that any resemblance to any person or persons living, dead, undead or merely comatose is entirely coincidental.

Song of the Canine Matutinal Repast: or, A Dog’s Breakfast Ditty

As night descended slowly over city, town and bush,
From a farm in York’s back garden strode the Captain of the Push.
He gazed upon us yokels, and his voice rang loud and true,
Saying “Listen up, you mongrels, ‘cause I’m just the man for you.

When perched upon my mother’s knee, a tiny little tot,
I knew that I was born to rule you miserable lot.
Now destiny has smiled on me, and proved that I was meant
Come light or dark to make my mark as shire president.

Gone are the days of fear and fright, when Hooper reigned supreme,
And all Fitz Gerald’s nasty tales are just an ugly dream.
Onward we’ll go and upward, you can join me in that caper,
I’ve made York famous, even got my photo in the paper.

I know that I’m not perfect, I admit that it’s a fact
I’m really not full bottle on the Local Government Act.
Never mind, there’s Paul to help me when my stream of thought runs dry,
That man’s a bloody marvel, always knows what’s right and why.”

On the day of the election, from the town and from the bush
Nigh on six hundred voters chose the Captain of the Push,
And many also voted for his two anointed mates,
Ignoring other candidates concerned about the rates.

Returned as shire president, the Captain is ecstatic,
The wisdom of the voters was decisive and emphatic:
He has a brand new deputy, and knows that yet again
He’ll enjoy the adulation of the lovely Lady Jane.

So the dogs have had their breakfast, and the voters sit at home,
While the Captain takes his orders from a famous garden gnome,
And they’re cursing James the Blogger for his rude audacious joke
About our dear shire president—a most impressive bloke!

Harry ‘Hayseed’ Hogg

(apologies to Henry Lawson)


47 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Mr Thomas's comment should have gone straight to the spam folder. I was half asleep when I let it through. I've just received another comment laced with double entendres, which I won't publish. No more, please. This thread is getting out of hand.

      Delete
    4. Spam folder if you're blog had a pool room that's were it should go straight to bloody good show john Thomas

      Delete
    5. John Thomas12 November 2017 at 12:22 - there's a code of conduct for all public servants, some breaches cannot be tolerated.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the cryptic clue, I suspect you had no difficulty with 'neither Austen nor Doe' and 'in Rome an iron lady' but stumbled over 'by God's grace'.

      If so, here's a further clue: 'God's grace' (or 'mercy') is the meaning of the lady's Christian name.

      Our shire president may perhaps have forgotten about 'democracy', but he clearly has a sound grasp of politics. The words are not synonymous, though some of us might wish they were.

      Delete
    2. Shafting a female councillor to enable a new kid on the block to float to the top sucks. How wrong were we to think York stood a chance to rid itself of the Hooper and Boyle tactics. They have been re-instated and council is back to square one.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11 November 2017 at 15:55 - are you Mo's competitor by any chance?

      Delete
  4. James you know this is York and the word on the street is Mo is causing problems for the shire as usual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. All I can say is that the boot was on the other foot. I know this because I was peripherally involved in the matter. Mo wasn't to blame.

      Why do you say that Mo 'is causing problems for the Shire as usual'? I suppose that like any zealous business owner he promotes his own interests to the Shire, but that doesn't amount to causing problems - not in my book, anyway.

      Delete
  5. Why is it when people complain about something they are either 'causing problems for the shire' or are marked for life as 'a trouble maker'.

    The way I see it, If the trouble makers had not stood up to the Administration arse holes we would still have Hooper as CEO, Tyscha as deputy CEO and Gail as what ever she was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim i see someone in town has found out you can write about if you want. I just want to look after my businesses people need to know the truth about what the shire has done to my business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What has the Shire done to your business Maurice? I was led to believe they have been nothing but supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't find the fact that one of the Exec Mgrs has gone funny at all. There is seriously something wrong at that Shire and each time I'm reminded of it, I think back to my rates and ask myself if I'm getting value for money. Until we get a council of people who don't just take the administrations word for it, I fear I'll not see any value for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is there something seriously wrong with that shire or that council,or both? Have you heard why the Exec.Mgr. has left the building? From what I heard it was all of his own wrongdoing. The shire has a lot of issues (past and present) to sort out. Council too could freshen their approach for better results. More people of York could do well to help going forward. Possibly by taking it upon themselves to participate in larger numbers in council elections,surveys, planning forum's and the like, as well as to community groups and initiatives.

      Delete
    2. What do you mean Furious when you say the executive manager(s) has gone funny?

      And Maurice, I'm still waiting to know what the Shire has done to your business.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous 14/11/17 @ 11.56, it wasn't the Shire per se that caused Maurice grief but a Shire official with delusions of grandeur. That official appears to have acted from rather questionable motives. Be patient, all will be revealed.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous 14 November well i have a lot to say but proving it without been sued is the problem as i been told.I have dealt with a employee of the shire for many years every time this person has contradicted himself, can not understand the laws that we all follow as business and has mates that he allowed for many years get away with many violations.To date this employee has a blind eye to some business and others he cracks down on. My business isn't the only one this employee has been unfair to. But saying this my business has all planning and health requirements needed to trade. I have had to fight to stay in business for the 4 years i been in York. I now deal with the state health authority as i have no confidence in the shire of York.Jim can write it much clearer than me and put it in the right context as i have to much anger writing this. I have been very sick since August last year i have had to take a back seat to running some part of my business. My health is my major concern and my life is more important.

      Delete
    5. James, exactly what do you mean by “be patient all will be revealed”, I think we’ve all had enough of that sort of carry on.

      Delete
    6. Anonymous 14/11/17 @ 17:42, what I mean is that I'm preparing an article for next week about a series of incidents involving a Shire official that gave every appearance of amounting to a spiteful attempt on that official's part to harm Mo's business.

      I won't attempt to cover in detail all the issues Mo alludes to in his comment at 17:41.

      Exactly what do you mean by 'that sort of carry on'?

      Delete
  9. Until all the people with Ray Hooper's power driven mind set are purged York will struggle. They are not only in the Council, administration and YRCC they have infiltrated many organisations. This type of person would be insignificant and unemployable in the metro area.

    The Shire President made the wrong decision when he shafted the female councillor. He has shown he is no better than Hooper or Boyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous 16 November @ 15:41, what do you mean "when he shafted the female councillor"?

      Delete
  10. OMG don't tell me David Wallace is feeling guilty. What about the other councillor he shafted, did she receive flowers and champagne too?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my understanding that the other councillor misled by the murky machiavellian machinations of our leading citizen wasn't compensated with champers and flowers.

      I don't know which brand of champagne Cr Smythe received. I doubt it was Bollinger or Veuve Cliquot.

      Some readers may be familiar with the so-called 'language of flowers', whereby a bouquet can be designed to convey a coded message. For example, yellow carnations mean 'go away, you've been a real disappointment'; hydrangeas 'thank you for understanding why I had to throw you to the wolves'; while snapdragons mean 'c'est la guerre, ma petite, I led you right up the garden path'.

      However, if Cr Wallace was feeling guilty as you suggest, he might have given Denese purple hyacinths ('please forgive me, I know I've behaved like a shit and I'm really so very sorry') or gladioli (I sincerely regret having done you over in favour of my new mate').

      Delete
  11. Is it true Wallace told one female councillor not to nominate for deputy SP because he intended to support Denese Smythe - then shafted both females?



    ReplyDelete
  12. two comments cut and pasted from York Bitching.

    Comment 1. from Peter Olsson: No mate with them being retirees I don't think they will be getting plastered and throwing their bottles and cans everywhere or being a public nuisance.

    Comment 2. from Peter Olsson - and neither do you please enlighten me to the type of people they are? Some locals are much worse mate, who mad you chairman to pick and choose? Do you want local business to suffer and shut up shop.

    You are right Peter Olsson some locals are much worse, much much worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In what context were the two comments made?

      Delete
  13. $34 for champagne and flowers is cheap. Were they purchased at Red Dot?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chairman Wallace...reminds me of the saying' I might be easy, but I'm not cheap' ...based on the evidence of purchase, I say you are both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Were flowers and champagne sent to Ms. Walters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the best of my knowledge, no.

      Delete
    2. I heard that Sophie (Shire President's better half) was spitting when she found out her hubby spent twice as much purchasing bubbly and blooms for the ousted Shire Deputy President than he does to celebrate their special occasions.

      Delete
    3. Geoff, I don't believe you. I think you made that up.

      Delete
    4. Does anyone know why the Shire President sent flowers and champagne to Cr. Smythe? Why did ratepayers pay for it?

      In the Hooper days they used put on a lavish dinner - at ratepayers expense - for their mates who got voted out.

      Delete
    5. Maybe Sophie is a glass half full lady.

      Delete
    6. Anon 29/11 @ 00.02: I think the SP would have paid for the gift from his own pocket. All gifts and contributions have to be registered against the recipient's name.

      I think the gift was a nice gesture on Mr Wallace's part. I'm utterly dismayed by the cynicism expressed in readers' comments on the subject. I hope he knows that I've done nothing to encourage that kind of response. Shame on you all!

      Delete
  16. Read David Taylor's article on the other blog about the crumbling Chalkies building.

    When will councillors find their back bones and go after James Best to recoup the money he spent to purchase this building?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read David's article yesterday and am still reeling from his disclosure that York's ratepayers will have to fork out a million dollars to bring Chalkies up to code, failing which the shire president might be dragged off to jail.

      The direct answer to your question is almost certainly 'Never'. This council, like its predecessors, has no desire to confront what the DLG described as 'historical issues'. It likes to pretend that the Fitz Gerald Report is dead and buried and that the iniquities of the old regime, including shire persecution of individuals, missing proceeds of sale of shire property and credit card issues, should be quietly laid to rest.

      In this, councillors may simply reflect the opinion of the people who voted for them. They know they can always rely on what a friend of mine scathingly refers to as 'the zombie vote'.

      Delete
    2. We can be thankful we have the blogs revealing the truth. They are doing the job we expected the councillors to do.



      Delete
    3. Anonymous 30/11 @ 17:42 - Perhaps truth doesn't rate very highly with some of our councillors. You might remember that several weeks ago I prepared a set of questions to be put to aspiring councillors at the 'Meet the Candidates' evening. The questions were supported by statistical facts culled from the 2016 census. It appears that one of the councillors present at the meeting told her colleagues that those facts were of no account, being merely, as she said, 'red herrings', i.e. data deployed to mislead. She obviously doesn't understand that while truth may be embarrassing and unhelpful, it can never by definition be misleading. (Alternatively, she may not fully grasp the meaning of the phrase 'red herring'.)

      The councillor in question claims to exist on a higher spiritual (and presumably intellectual) plane than the rest of us. However, I suspect she has fallen victim to what might be called 'the local government lobotomy', a procedure whereby that part of the brain is removed which would otherwise remind councillors of why they were elected and what the LG Act says they should do.

      Delete
    4. No person on a spiritual path would claim to be on a higher spiritual plane than the rest. Those who do, are still struggling to let go of their ego and the need to feel important.

      Delete
  17. Historical issues never go away.

    It takes a good man or woman to stand up for the truth. The question is, is there one amongst the 7 current councillors?

    ReplyDelete